Wednesday, 9 March 2011

OK, let's get this show on the road!

I recently decided I would make a more concerted effort with art. I won't say 'a concerted effort' without the word 'more' as my interests and involvement with them cycle, so whilst this week I'm really into drawing, painting, Italian and going for walks, next week I'll probably be passionate about German, science and embroidery instead! After that will come Chinese, linguistics, viola playing....

Anyway, I've been ordering art books through and borrowing from the Sheffield City Library. One of the things libraries do tend to have a good collection of is art books (as well as language course, cookery books, health problem guides and contemporary fiction), so I have a few of their titles on my shelf. The local branch even has two of the books that I used to own, and others I can order in from other branches. Just have to remember not to get paint on them!

One of the hardest things for beginning artists to do is think of something to draw and paint. I like Alwyn Crawshaw's demos etc on painting fruit and veg as, even if it doesn't look exactly like his or even the piece you've done freehand, then it will at least still look like a banana etc, so the beginner gets some confidence etc. So, I plan to try some of those later on this week. In the meantime, I remembered what a great resource of drawing and painting topics a china cabinet can be, esp. as ours has quite a collection of Oriental teapots, cups and souvenirs in it. The pen drawing on the left is one I did on Monday of two of our little Taiwanese teapots. I like to do my first drawings in pen as I'm a very hesitant sketcher and will tend to use very weak pencil marks and give up easily. With pen, you're forced to commit to mark making and that helps me be more definite about what I'm doing. I've found that I can do better pencil work after having done something in pen. So, whilst this piece isn't terrific, it is something. It's a start. I also started having a go at a coloured pencil version of the same thing (which I'll finish soon) and plan on doing a watercolour of one of the pots too.

More soon!

4 comments:

Caroline B said...

If you are stuck for an idea, it's always good to arrange a small still life by way of practise - you either get really into drawing what you have set up or are so bored by it you soon get inspiration to draw something else!

Rachel said...

You can also get chunky graphite crayons which are great for loosening up a tentative sketcher!

Sheilasembroidery said...

How about starting a small art journal, that way you don't have to do big. I love mine. It also gives me an excuse to play, nothing is wrong and anything goes.

Jules Woolford said...

I like the teapots, very much! And the comment above about journalling is a really good idea. I've started a nature journal in watercolour to encourage myself!

Did I tell you I know Trudy? She was instrumental in getting me to take my art seriously - will tell all when I write!